How to Change the Default Password of Your Netgear Router
Netgear builds millions of devices every year and each device comes with a unique password and username. Do you know what this means? This means that the default credentials of your Netgear WiFi router are known by every single person out there who owns a router. And this can end up being pretty dangerous.
Come to think of it – What if someone guesses your password, accesses your router, and hacks your personal data? Or what if that person blocks you from your own network without coming under your notice? Spooky, right?
In order to make sure that you don’t get caught in this web, changing the password and username of your Netgear WiFi router makes perfect sense. Just follow the step-by-step instructions mentioned below and know how to secure your Netgear WiFi router.
Steps to Change the Password of Your Netgear WiFi Router
- First and foremost, ensure that your WiFi router and existing modem are well connected.
- Open a web browser of your choice on your laptop. It is recommended that you have at least 2 extra web browsers installed on your system.
- The third step in line is to log into your Netgear router either using the default Netgear router login IP or web address.
- Once you have entered 192.168.1.250 into the address bar of your web browser, hit Enter.
- The minute the Netgear router login page appears, fill in the routerlogin-net login credentials and click on the Log In button.
- Once the Netgear Genie Setup Wizard appears on the screen of your laptop, click on Admin Panel > Maintenance.
- A dialogue box will appear in front of you asking you to enter the old password and username of your Netgear WiFi router.
- After filling in the old default credentials, enter the new password that you want your router to have.
- Done? Good. Now, click on the Apply button to proceed further.
Ta-da! If you follow these steps carefully, I’m sure you’ll be able to change the password and username of your Netgear WiFi router with ease. But, in case you come across any issue, then follow the troubleshooting tips mentioned below.
Facing Trouble While Changing the Default Password? Here’s the Fix!
- Ensure that you are using a damage-free power socket before you get started with the password change process.
- Make sure that you connect to the right Netgear_ext at the right corner of your laptop screen.
- Check whether you are using a strong and secure internet connection. Are your Netgear router and existing modem connected wirelessly? If the answer is yes, make sure that you use an Ethernet cable to connect both your WiFi devices.
- In case you are facing any issue because of a faulty web browser, switch to another browser without thinking twice.
- If switching to a new browser doesn’t help you out, clear the cache and browsing history of the web browser that you are using.
- Make sure that the VPN you are using is not active.
If even after keeping all the aforementioned tips in mind you face any issue while changing the password of your router, you can get in touch with me anytime through the comments section below.