How A Traditional Italian Biscuit Called Savoiardi Prepared?
In Italy, every kind of dessert is generally known as dolce. But for every dolce, there is a special name. Savoiardi is a very popular Italian dolce that is a type of cookie but made from sponge cake. Yes, surprised to know that a biscuit is made from cake. But this is true about this particular Italian biscuit.
What To Learn About Traditional Italian Savoiardi?
You must know a few things about Savoiardi before you make preparations for baking it. These are typical Italian biscuits that are oval, are crispy, and commonly served with coffee and tea.
- Many people confuse it with the vegetable okra or cigarette, but this is not true. It is a simple biscuit that is sweet, baked, and also made in other countries around the world.
- The traditional Italian Savoiardi is made from ingredients that can be found easily at home or you can buy them if they are not available then don’t worry you can buy them from any store.
- Whether you make these biscuits at home or buy from stores; you have to keep them in air-tight jars. This is done so that the moisture from the Savoiardi doesn’t escape and remains crisp.
- The Duchy of Savory which is now part of France, Italy, and Switzerland was the place where Savoiardi originated. This is the alpine region in which you will find variations of this Italian dessert.
- The best quality of Savoiardi that you can order from online stores like Sogno Toscano is that they can absorb liquids. So when preparing any desert make sure not to soak it much.
- The shelf-life of both home-made and purchased from stores is almost the same. Maybe the store purchased Savoiardi might last longer but it is not definite; so precautions have to be taken.
- Although the Savoiardi is a whole dessert in itself; but it can be used to make other desserts as well. These desserts include Italian Tiramisu, Trifle In Glasses, Gelato Pie Tiramisu, decoration Around Cakes, and Lady Fingers Sandwiches.
Preparing Traditional Italian Savoiardi
When you are searching for an authentic Italian Savoiardi recipe; you will find several. All of which are real and valid. This dolce uses the simplest of all ingredients and the method of cooking is also plain.
The Main Ingredients To Put In
This recipe uses egg whites and egg yolks separately, vanilla extract, sugar, salt, lemon juice, lemon zest, all-purpose flour, corn starch, and powdered sugar. You see these ingredients are easily found in any store.
Steps For Preparing Savoiardi
Just like the ingredients are simple; the method of preparing it is also easiest and plain.
- First of all, preheat the oven at 180 degrees C. Meanwhile place parchment sheets on the baking tray and butter the tray.
- Select a medium bowl and beat the egg whites in it. Gradually add sugar and lemon juice. Until the formation of soft peaks.
- Choose another bowl combine egg yolks, other half sugar, lemon zest, salt, and lemon juice so that the mixture becomes yellow.
- Sieve the flour and starch and add them to the egg yolk mixture. Then fold the egg whites.
- Fill the piping bag with the Savoiardi mixture and pipe out on the tray leaving a good distance between them.
- Sprinkle the powdered sugar on top and bake them in the oven.
Here you have it the perfect Savoiardi is made and you can either serve it to guests or give it as a gift.