Burning Tongue Syndrome
Individuals exhibiting symptoms that correlate with burning mouth syndrome must consult an ENT specialist in Lahore. The specialist will conduct relevant tests to diagnose the illness and provide guidance regarding treatment options proven effective.
Burning Tongue Syndrome and Its Symptoms
The person suffers from a constant burning sensation on the tongue, gums, and lips, causing extreme pain and discomfort. Women above fifty are more prone to suffer from the condition. The common symptoms of burning tongue syndrome are:
- The person suffers from constant burning sensations, which causes extreme discomfort.
- The patient suffers from dry mouth. Additionally, there constant urge to consume fluids.
- The patient suffers from the symptoms of sore throat, and medication is proven ineffective.
- The patient suffers from a metallic taste in the mouth all the time.
Known Causes of Burning Tongue Syndrome
The causes of burning tongue syndrome are:
- The patients may suffer from the condition as a side-effect of mediations.
- A fungal infection can cause burning.
- Individuals with poor dietary habits have nutrient deficiency. An individual with zinc, iron, folate, and thiamine deficiency is more prone to suffer from burning tongue syndrome.
- Individuals who use dentures are more likely to suffer from the disease, as it may affect the mouth tissues.
- Food allergies can cause the person to suffer from burning tongue syndrome.
- Individuals with gastrointestinal issues such as acid reflux can suffer from the disease as a complication.
- Diabetic patients should keep their blood sugar levels in check by taking proper medications, or it can cause the person to suffer from burning tongue syndrome.
- Women who take stress are more likely to suffer from burning tongue syndrome.
Complications Associated with Burning Tongue Syndrome
The complications that correlate with the condition include:
- The burning sensation can cause anxiety and discomfort and affect the sleep routine of the patient.
- The person struggles to consume solid food. It may affect their overall physical and mental health. Nutrient deficiency can lead to neurological illnesses.
- Due to a lack of functioning in everyday life, the person may suffer from depression and other psychological disorders.
- The preventive measures to reduce the chances of burning tongue syndrome include:
- An individual with health issues should be well aware of the side effects of the medications and discuss them with their doctor.
- Individuals should manage their personal and professional life to avoid stress, which may lead to physical illnesses including burning tongue syndrome.
- People must take a balanced diet to fulfill the needs of the body and avoid complications.
- Elderly people should avoid spicy food and carbonated drinks to enhance their physical health.
Tests to Diagnose Burning Tongue Syndrome
The tests that assist in diagnosing an individual with burning tongue syndrome are:
- Oral Culture: The oral culture test will help detect the cause of the burning tongue syndrome. It will help detect the presence of bacteria causing the person to suffer from the symptoms of burning tongue syndrome.
- Patient History and Physical Examination: The specialist will conduct a thorough exam to identify abnormalities. Additionally, the patient will provide their medical history to the doctor. The use of certain medications can lead to a burning sensation.
- Salivary Measurements: The reduction in the salivary flow can lead to dry mouth, causing the person to suffer from the burning tongue syndrome. The test will help the specialist identify the exact cause of the condition.
Treatment and Self-Care
- The patient can take local anesthetics, which help in managing the pain.
- The patient should not use poor-fitting dentures.
- The patient must take supplements to fulfill the vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
- The patient must consume more water and reduce the intake of alcohol and carbonated drinks.
People diagnosed with burning tongue syndrome should discuss their symptoms with an ENT specialist in Islamabad. The specialist will guide them regarding the latest treatment options proven effective in treating the condition.